NEWS & BLOG
21 April, 2020 - By Leyla Williams
West London Welcome COVID-19 Emergency Hardship Appeal
For the refugees, asylum seekers and migrants supported by West London Welcome, the Coronavirus pandemic has created unprecedented increased hardship and destitution for those who were already living on the breadline prior to the pandemic. That’s why we’re launching the West London Welcome COVID-19 Emergency Hardship Appeal today, to raise funds in order that we can ensure everyone in our community has enough food to eat; is safely housed; can provide for their children; is able to communicate and have access to education through laptops, WiFi, and phones; and receives legal advice.
How this appeal will benefit the West London Welcome community
Through this appeal, we will be able to provide a lifeline to the refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in our community who would otherwise be destitute. These funds will allow us to provide food, baby and sanitary items, and phones, laptops and WiFi in order that people can keep in contact with their support networks and allow them to continue with their education while schools and colleges are closed. We will also be able to support people with destitution hardship payments.
How the funding will be spent
- £100 will buy a second-hand laptop for communication and education
- £50 will support those refugees and migrants who have just lost their jobs due to the pandemic and are unable to afford their rent
- £40 will buy a week’s food shopping for a family
- £25 will buy a SIM card with for unlimited calls, texts and WiFi
- £20 will buy nappies, period pads and essential toiletries.
How to donate
You can donate to the West London Welcome COVID-19 Emergency Hardship Appeal on Localgiving here. Please tell your friends! We’re so grateful for your support.